Monday, March 21, 2011

Welcome Spring!!!!


After a long cold winter I am celebrating the joyous arrival of Spring. For me Spring always brings with it a feeling of hope, a sense of awe at the beautiful world around me and a desire to live life fully. I suppose it's how the bears feel as they leave their caves after a long cold winter of hibernation.

My 10 year old son with autism has been planning for two months now for this day. I know he invisioned the first day of spring to be warm and cozy with an instant change from snow to flowers and sunshine. He kept seeking reassurance from me - "No coat in Spring. No Snow in Spring". I wanted to promise him these things but I tried to explain that Spring is gradual. Things change slowly. Sometimes we don't even notice until one day we wake up and realize we've arrived.

I think that the slow and gradual pace of Spring, or the growth of a garden, or a child, or progress towards whatever we are working on is meant to take time. As we accept this as a principle of life we will establish inside of us hope to see our dreams come true and we will find patience for the wait. I know so many times I've given up on a goal or a dream because I lose hope to ever attain it and can't see any progression. But, I am realizing it is wisdom to hold fast to my dreams and know that step by step, if I continue on I will see them come true.

In our fast paced society today, people want instantaneous results. Not too many people are even trying to pursue their dreams because "it's too hard". We want things easy and fast. But all things that matter take time. I tell my children that things that you feel like doing and are easy usually aren't good for us - like sitting around all day, eating junk food, and putting off homework. But things that require discipline and that we often don't feel like doing, like exercising, cleaning house, pursuing or practicing a talent we have, doing what we have to do right away, and reading scriptures really make us feel happy and fulfilled. Think of the long term effects of either choice. Becoming unhealty and unfullfilled or being happy, healthy and fulfilled.

I've been trying to learn something new every day from artists that I admire. I've learned so much from Utah artist Trent Gudmundsen. He said that it's very important to remember that there are two types of light - warm light and cool light. When light on your subject is warm, the shadows will be cool(er). When your subject is in cool light that shadows will be cool(er). I've been trying to train my eyes to see whether the light is warm or cool.

My progression in art is slow and most times imperceptible. But I'm occasionally very pleasantly surprised when I see something I did a few years ago and realize that I am really progressing. I am holding on tight and beleiving that step by step I will come closer to seeing my dreams come true.

This is the first painting I saw by Trent Gudmundsen. I loved his style and use of color. I sat there staring and thought "That's what I would like to paint like". Check out his work at



Happy Spring! Now, go chase your dreams.

5 comments:

  1. Trent's website is www.trentgudmundsen.com

    Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laila, thanks for the honor of being included in your post! I really enjoyed reading your thoughts about springtime, too. I've definitely got spring fever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi auntie! Very inspiring post. Something I really needed to hear. I get very down and depressed being stuck in WA with all the rain and grey skies. All I ever dream/think about is getting away and seeking the shelter of a paln tree and a beach. I do need to take time to stop and appreciate each day for what it is, and not convince myself myself that hibernating is all there is to do in Washington. I definitely turn into a bear this time of year... and a grouchy one at that. My poor husband! Love you auntie. Tell Jacob I am right there with in the protesting of coats!!! :) Xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well stated Laila! Glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete