Friday, February 12, 2010

Safely Hidden



This week I really struggled with making up my mind about what I wanted to paint. I really didn't make up my mind until Monday night. But I always liked a picture I took on our trip to Vegas in November 2008. It looks so cozy to live out in the country with no one else around. I believe it is Parowan, Utah because of the P on the mountain.

I noticed I am drawn to pictures of cloudy days. It must be from being raised in Washington state. I love rainy days. It makes me feel at home. When I first painted the clouds they looked awful (I think this is my first time ever painting clouds). I wiped them off. I got on youtube and searched "how to paint clouds in oil". I watched a couple movies and couldn't believe how easy it was going to be. Well, it wasn't as easy as I'd hoped, but I'm decided to think of them as pretty good for the first time.

I am really enjoying this challenge. I find that I'm seeing things very differently. I see folds, shapes and shadows in places I never noticed before - like dirty socks on the floor. Crazy huh? I really get when they say that being an artist is just learning how to see. I love it! It's a whole new world. I lay in bed at night, not able to go to sleep because I'm thinking of all the things I'd like to paint. It must be what I'm meant to do.

Those who know me know I have a cookbook addiction. Somehow I can never get enough. Well tonight I looked at some but the same excitement wasn't there. I couldn't believe it. It pales in comparison to how I feel when I can look at something I've created. Wow! It's a good change. But I'll always love to bake.

So Happy Valentines day, I'll talk to you next Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment