Friday, February 19, 2010

Snow Angel



"Snow Angel" is my 7th painting this year. My daughter is so beautiful and sweet I had a hard time trying to pick which picture I wanted to paint. I think I really needed two weeks to paint this instead of one. Then I started thinking, since my goal is to paint one painting a week maybe by the end of the year, I will hopefully have learned a lot and next year will be able to fix all the paintings I've painted this year.

I am happy with this painting. I wanted to paint her in her black coat that she wears everywhere, but as I painted the red underlayer I liked it too much to change it. Then I took a black and white picture of the painting and thought it looked really good black. Let me know what you think looks best.

I finally got my Southwest Art Magazine. My subscription had expired and my husband renewed it for me for Christmas. I look forward to it each month and find new favorite artists. This month there's a wonderful figurative painter named Marci Oleszkiewicz ( pronounced o-la-skevitch). I love her use of light and shadows. You can see her work in the Waterhouse Gallery, Santa Barbara, CA. Each day as I try to run on the treadmill I find a painting I like and look at it for 1 mile and then turn to a new one after each mile. Yes I am crazy about art. I told my Mom today as we drove by some bushes and trees that are starting to show some color of spring that I can't drive by without wanting to paint it. I'm still having a hard time going to sleep at night because I'm so excited about painting. But I did buy a Williams Sonoma Appetizer cookbook today.

So that's this week. Next week I'm changing things up a bit. I'm going to finish a painting that I started last year. I decided that was ok. Otherwise I'll never have time to work on it.

Everyone in our house is feeling better, including me. So I think next week will be a lot better. Until then.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! We haven't seen any of your latest paintings but they are awesome, you are so talented! And we can't believe you do one a week with 4 kids! Keep posting... cant wait to see the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you guys. It's been fun. It keeps me focused. How are you guys doing? Sorry about sending the present to your old address. Hope things are great. Kiss Nolan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Laila - Kaela and I have been weekly followers of your blog. Your paintings are fantastic. The portraits of your daughter, son, and Crystal are beautiful.

    We also love the stories you write for each one and the pictures/videos of your family. Thanks for sharing your talent and family with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Tara and Kaela. It helps and motivates me to know you are following my blog. Like today I'm trying to finish up my painting so I can post it by tonight. I'm waiting for naptime and then I'll have to paint like crazy.
    Bob just headed down to Saint George to do a 100 mile bike ride tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete