Friday, March 5, 2010

Cow Kisses


This week I tried to make a painting for my parents who are both having a birthday. My parents both grew up in Norway. My Mom grew up on a farm and loves animals. She has told me stories about her cows and horses. One cow that she especially loved was named Dagros. I googled and searched the internet for images of cow. Dagros was a Holstein. As I was searching I came across a photo of two cows snuggling. I thought it was so sweet. I made a quick copy and it was a bad one - our ink is running very low. I wrote down the page number and planned to look it up again once I started painting. I drew up a quick sketch on my board and went to find the picture again and I couldn't find it anywhere. I went through 50 pages each of "cow images, cow photos, cows cuddling, holstein cow photos, etc. You won't believe some of the pictures. Be careful with letting your children look up images - scary.
A couple of days later Josh suggested I try "cows kissing" and I found it but it was only about an inch big so it didn't help too much. But I found someone else had done a painting of the same image.

I decided to just do my best with the copy that I had - even though the black showed white and the other colors were off. I ended up pretty happy with it, but I was reminded that I really lack in imagination. I would love to be able to paint something that I imagine in my mind, but either I lack the ability or the experience. Not sure which yet.

My Mom told me that she loved to play with the calves. They were very playful. She said her mom told her that she would look out at the barn and see Mom's head go running by the window. I would love a picture of that.

My parents have both talked about how little cows are mentioned or appreciated in our country. They give us milk and meat, something we use almost every day, but people rarely ever think about them or talk about them. Cows are so beautiful and sweet. They play such an important role in our lives. So here's to the cows - peaceful, loving and beautiful. Thank you!

Dad's turning 80 next week. They are such wonderful parents and incredibly giving people. I am so blessed to have parents like them. They have always loved and supported me in my life. And they have taught me by example the kind of person I want to be and the way I want to live my life - honestly, lovingly, hard working and so full of faith in Heavenly Father and our Savior. I hope my children will be able to say that about me. I love you Mom & Dad. Happy Birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment