Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Blessing or blessing in disguise?

The last 24 hours have been very eye opening. I started watching the two new kids today. I found out how different kids with autism can be. My autistic son is probably the best behaved kid I have. He's very obedient and doesn't like to cause trouble - and as his teacher said, "is as good as can be".

Today I learned that this boy won't take no for an answer. I had to carry him kicking and screaming into the bathroom to wash his hands after using the bathroom. I was suprised to find the toilet paper was out and replaced the roll. Later I came in and discovered he had half of the new roll down in the toilet - but he willingly and happily washed his hands.

We visited my garden where he found the hose entertaining. I came back a minute later to check on him and found him soaked wet from head to toe, but he was happy. So I turned down the water pressure and let him drink and spray himself for awhile.

His sister was very sweet. So cute and fun that my 2 year old decided he would skip his nap today. He had a great time with her - laughing and chasing her like such a big boy. I was planning on his nap but decided it would be nice if he went to bed at a normal time for once.

My husband and oldest son were shaking their head and wondering what I got myself into. So was I! But I know it's his first day and he was also very sweet much of the time. My concern is if he requires all my attention that everyone else will lose out. I'm trying again tommorrow! I was honest with the mom about his behavior and my concerns, but I feel for her. I would really like it to work out. I said to my husband, "He needs a place to be too". I would feel so awful to turn him away.

After their mom picked them up I took three of my kids out for a walk. It was such a beautiful night and felt so peaceful after today. As I was heading home I saw growing in a crack on the side of the road a little yellow snapdragon flower. I've always loved snap dragons. As a little girl I thought they smelled like smarties. I pulled on it and the whole plant, root and all, came out. I felt like I received a gift and was excited to try to plant it at home.

As I continued walking I thought of the phrase, "the tender mercies of the Lord". I realized this flower that I love was the Lord showing his tender mercies to me at a time he knew I could use it.

Then my daughter and I saw the first star in the sky and I made a wish. I wished that I would keep the boy if I was suppose to. Then right as I walked up to the house my two year old fell asleep. A pretty good ending to a rough day.

No comments:

Post a Comment