Sunday, June 27, 2010

Making things Clear

I love being able to go to church and feel renewed and gain a better perspective of life and my place in it. Learning from the scriptures and the examples in them, their trials and challenges, I leave feeling more hope and determination to make a better life for me and my family. My life doesn't seem so bad.

Lately, I've felt so much the seriousness of my role as a mother. I want so much to prepare and strengthen my children to face whatever they will face in life. I want them to have confidence in themselves. I want them to really believe in the power of prayer and the love of their Father in Heaven for them. I want them to know I believe in them and that they should find their dreams and pursue them. We all have a purpose and make a difference in this world. "This above all to thine own self be true". I think that's something very difficult to do and that very few people really stay true to themselves. I try to tell my 11 year old son that I know how it feels to want to be accepted and try to fit in, but it's even more important to feel good about who you are and knowing that your life is pleasing to God.

I was talking to a good friend of mine about how we so often feel like as mothers we are not doing enough. As mothers our hearts are so full of hopes and dreams. Dreams of a perfectly clean and orderly home, children developing their talents and using their time wisely, and loveable and peaceable conversations taking place all day. But reality is so far from that dream. Our plans for life that we imagine flowing easily are always shattered and interupted by the unexpected events - sickness, accidents, fights among family members, etc... So many times when I've felt excited about something big I plan to do the next day I end up not getting any sleep because of the sickness of a child and I wake up totally exhausted and unmotivated.

I know their is much we can do to make a difference, but I also know Satan is real and he always tries to discourage us and make us feel we'll never be enough. We're only expected to do the best we can. We need to keep a clear perspective of what's important in life and weed out all the useless things that take nourishment away from what really matters. The scriptures and the Spirit can help make those things really clear - and it's not the things that money can buy but things we can take with us when this life is over - family relationships, experiences from serving, knowledge, peace, talents, joy, and a closeness to Heavenly Father.

So I will continue to try each day to make things more clear for me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment