Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Oh My!

Oh My what a morning. Day 2 of babysitting. This morning his mom ensured me that today he should be much more mellow since he was really tired and didn't get much sleep. I was hopeful, but doubtful. I just thought it can't be worse than yesterday.

When they first came in he went straight outside. He was playing with the remaining water left in the hose since I had turned if off to prevent a repeat of yesterdays soaking. I watched as he contentedly sipped water from the hose and went to finish the dishes.

Next time I looked outside he was sitting buck naked in our little kiddie pool with one inch of water. I told him he had to get his clothes on and he refused. He also refused to get out of the pool. So I mustered up my strength and carried him again kicking and screaming into the house - this time naked kicking and screaming. Wonderful!

He refused to dress so I tried to dress him by force in which he kicked ripping a big rip in his underwear. We tried a time out which just resulted in more naked kicking and screaming and then I asked his little sister, "Does he do this at home?".
"Yes". "A lot?" "Yes". "What does your mom do when he does this?". "She just puts him in his room to calm down while he plays with his magnadoodle". I thought, that's a good idea. I put him in my sons room holding the door shut just until the major screaming had stopped and left him there. Five minutes later he comes down calm and dressed in my sons clothes. I was happy.

The rest of the morning involved one refusal after another. We went to my parents house to let them play in the backyard which was great. They have a dream yard for kids. The jumped on the tramp while I picked strawberries. He ran inside and I picked for a few minutes more - mistake. When I came in I saw he had gone downstairs where I told him not to and he had emptied out a container of my Mom's Christmas stuff.

I carried him out to the car, strapped him in, he escaped, carried him again, locked the doors and took off. This time almost in tears, saying to myself I can't do this. I feel so bad, but I really can't watch someone who is that demanding. His mom said he's high functioning autism. That's not what I call high functioning. Poor guy. Change can be so difficult for them.

His mom just called and asked how things are doing. I told her it's been really bad and I really can't do this. She was really understanding and said she would find someone for tomorrow. I'm sure she's had to do that many times. I will pray for her and them. I wish I could do it, but I can't.

Right now he's naked again out in the pool and I decided I'm not going to fight it. I'm exhausted and my forearms hurt. And I don't want another naked wrestling match.
Life is going to seem boring with just my four kids after this - or very peaceful.
How does a single working mother of a child like that do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment